OUR MISSION — "To love God with all our hearts, to love all others and to spread the good news of Jesus Christ."
SAFE HARBOR COMMUNITY
Junction City First United Methodist Church will continue to be a church that welcomes all - regardless of gender, race, class, national origin or sexual orientation. We will not discriminate, because we believe that ALL are God's beloved children and ALL are welcome in God's church and at God's table.
We affirm, "that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 8:38-39 NIV
People started meeting together at the Junction City Methodist Church in 1861. The cornerstone for the first church building was laid in 1866 on the northeast corner of Eighth and Jackson Streets. The building was completed in 1867 with the help of the citizens of Junction City who pitched in to furnish materials, haul stone and/or help build.
The Church was expanded in the 1890s and dedicated in December of 1894. The four memorial windows, which cost $175 each, can still be seen in our sanctuary and entryway today. They were given by the Sunday School Department, the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), the Ladies Aid Society (a forerunner of the United Methodist Women) and the Epworth League (a forerunner of the United Methodist Youth Fellowship).
The Education building was opened in February 1958, under the guidance of Dr. J. Lester McGee, who was the first pastor to live in the church's parsonage and help ensure the Education building debt was paid off.
Our church officially became the Junction City United Methodist Church in 1968 when the Methodist and Evangelical United Brethren Churches merged.